Saturday, March 20, 2010

Climate Change? Test your listening skills.



In my years at Bilkent, I have noticed the steady drumbeat about environmental problems in our materials. It certainly seems that students are aware that we are facing a number of problems related to the way we live on the planet but I have also noticed what could be called a bias in the information shared about climate change. From the materials that I have noticed in circulation in our school , it would seem that the scientific community has reached consensus about man-made global warming. This is not the case as the video I am sharing here will convey. I have found a debate/discussion about this very issue from two expert scientists discussing climate change. I am presenting it here for two reasons. The first being what I have already alluded to, to give a fuller picture of the debate about climate change. The second being diagnostic, that is, if you can follow this debate, you are more than ready for your work in the department. I say this because the intended audience is not scientists in particular but college-educated people in general. So give this video a try. It will be quite challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment